We have had many requests for a widget that can launch an external iOS app on the iPad from within a book created with iBooks Author and this handy Open App widget does exactly that!
To use it, the reader simply taps on the widget in the book to open up the widget launch page. They then tap on ‘launch’ to automatically open the app, such as Google Earth. When finished with the app, they can use the four-finger swipe method to return directly to the widget launch page. If they don’t have the app on their iPad they’re given the option to be taken directly to the app page on the App Store and install it.
To create your Open App widget in the Bookry generator you will need to place the app’s native URL under ‘Live Settings’. To help you, the generator has a link to a website where you can search for an app and find its URL. If you can’t find the native URL for the app you need, then place your request in the Open App FAQ Forum. Or you can send a request directly to us and we will try our best to find it for you.
For example, the App url to open Google Earth and load a KML file hosted online is:
Here is the quickest way to get this widget into your book:
- Visit the Widget Library page and click on the Open App widget.
- Select the “Download Now’ button.
- Fill in the pop-up (you will need to select a username and password if you are a new user).
- Fill in the ‘Static’ and ‘Live’ settings in the online generator.
- Save & Preview to see what it will look like in your book then ‘Download’ the file to your Mac.
- Finally, drag the .wdgt file from Finder into iBooks Author.